Opening question: When you think of mission what comes to mind? Why is it important to think and live like a missionary in our local context?
Let’s spend some time now talking about living out our mission statement at CrossPointe: Pointing our community to JESUS so that people would Know God, Find Freedom, Experience Belonging, & Seek Renewal. We will do this by working through Acts 2:22-47.
KNOW GOD – read Acts 2:22-36
- What do these verses teach us about helping people to KNOW GOD?
- Why is it important to give people the good news and not just good advice?
FIND FREEDOM – read Acts 2:37-41
- What do you think it means that they were “cut to the heart”?
- Think about (and share) a time when you were cut to the heart. What led to this? How were you tempted to dismiss this feeling?
- Discuss this quote from Martyn Lloyd-Jones and how it might be applicable to helping people Find Freedom…The Spirit always leads people to think, and…the greatest trouble is that men and women go through life without thinking. Or they think for a moment but find it painful, so they stop and turn to a bottle of whiskey or television or something else—anything to forget.
EXPERIENCE BELONGING – read Acts 2:42-47
- What characterizes their sense of community/belonging? Why is being “devoted” a key element to experiencing belonging?
- How does the gospel help you create space for new people, both those who believe and those who don’t yet believe?
SEEK RENEWAL – read Acts 2:44-45
- What do you think these verses can look like in our current context?
- Interact with this quote from Bruce Waltke…The righteous are those who are willing to disadvantage themselves to the advantage of their community; the wicked are those who are willing to disadvantage the community to advantage themselves.
- How does the gospel fuel a life of mishpat (seek renewal)?